StarCraft Resolution Hack

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gix, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Gix

Gix Innovate, Don't Imitate Founder

Do NOT play in Battle.Net while using this hack. You might get banned. You have been warned!

This is ment to work on EuropeBattle.Net

First, you will probably need Brood War installed - I don't think this works if you only have vanilla Starcraft. Make sure you have the latest version of the game. Connecting to Battle.Net should auto-patch your installation if it isn't already at the latest version.

Download this:
    Res Expander 6

Mirror 1: http://www.filefront.com/13986957/Resolution-Expander---5.1.zip/

Mirror 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4ZL12G2D

Extract it anywhere you please. Now, edit the file "ResSettings.ini."

Probably the simplest thing to do is to just change these lines:
    ScreenWidth0=640
    ScreenHight0=480

to your preferred resolution. If you do this, I would not recommend anything higher than 1440x900 - the bigger the resolution, the smaller everything is.

But if you want to get fancy, you could try setting multiple incrementing resolutions through this config file. That way, you can have sort of a zoom in/out functionality. If you do this, you can switch resolutions by pressing the + or - keys.

After setting your resolutions, run "InsectLoader.exe" to play Starcraft with the hack.

For me, doing this threw an error message - that Starcraft was installed improperly. Re-installation didn't help. So I did a bit of regmoning and found a solution in case this happens to anyone else.

If you get such an error, go to the directory where Starcraft.exe is located. Create a file there, and call it "scfix.vbs".

Copy and paste this text into it. Note - I've only tested this in Windows XP 32-bit.

Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    set svc=GetObject("winmgmts:root\default:StdRegProv")
    Wscript.Quit(svc.setStringValue(&H80000002,  "SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\Starcraft", "Program",  WshShell.currentDirectory & "\Starcraft.exe"))

Double-click it. After you do this, InsectLoader should agree the game is installed properly.

If you're using a 64-bit OS and this doesn't work, try pasting this text into the file instead:

Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    set svc=GetObject("winmgmts:root\default:StdRegProv")
    Wscript.Quit(svc.setStringValue(&H80000002,  "SOFTWARE\wow6432node\Blizzard Entertainment\Starcraft", "Program",  WshShell.currentDirectory & "\Starcraft.exe"))
    I can't promise this will work any better, but try it - clear the vbs file, paste the above text into it, and run it again. See if InsectLoader works after that.

640x480
    [​IMG]

1280x720
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280x720.[​IMG]

1440x900
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1440x900.[​IMG]

1920x1080
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1920x1080.[​IMG]

1920x698 (Ben-Hur mode)
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1920x698.[​IMG]

Cipi and eXistenZ like this.
  2. jmh033089

jmh033089 Member

Great now if we could only get this on Dablio we would be set... lol

3. allybatman

allybatman Member

So everyone knows this works in win 7, I am playing starcraft broodwars anything i want 1024 x 768 all day. Smooth. Just get resolultion expander 5.1. make the vbs file as it says, and then click on it, then run insectlauncher as admin. easy.

4. allybatman

allybatman Member

64 bit, no problem, resolution expander 6 however didn't work

5. allybatman

allybatman Member

oh ya, it won't work if you have starcraft in your program files (x86) only program files. and run as admin after using one of those vbs script. just open notepad write what it says and save it in your main sc folder. as scfix.vbs

6. allybatman

allybatman Member

zero issues as far as i'm concerned its the real deal.

7. allybatman

allybatman Member

sound is fine, video is fine, gameplay is fine

8. Gix

Please make sure to read the forum rules because next time you do a 5x post you will be suspended.
    Double, Tripple, (etc) posts are not allowed. Use the EDIT button instead.

9. Two Punch Man

Two Punch Man Member

@Gix Hey I know that this is an old thread but if you're still monitoring it then I guess this is a valid place to ask. I have Win 8.1. I used ResExpander/Insectloader and it renders the units and buildings fine, but the graphics for the terrain is a bit screwed up. And I mean like really screwed up. Is there anyway I can fix this?

10. Gix

Add a screenshot so we can see it.

11. Two Punch Man

Two Punch Man Member

12. Gix

Windows 8.1 has been discontinued long time ago and it was always problematic for games, especially old ones. Try setting up compatibility as XP SP2 or Vista SP2. You could also try google and find a different starcraft loader such as Chaos Launcher which I personally used couple months ago during a starcraft game with my friends and works great.

13. furion

furion Member

does this work for Win 10? i tried it but it says cannot find game.dll

14. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Administrator

Should work, make sure the game is patched correctly and you're using compatibility mode.

• Draft saved Draft deleted